Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Random Thoughts

I have been corresponding with a lovely woman from Italy who posted kind thoughts on the blog entry about my father's birthday. I read through parts of her blog (you can find it here), and something she wrote a few months ago struck me very hard:

It is pointless to love someone who does not love you in return.

I agree with this statement completely. It is a self-evident principle. In theory, it saves countless heartaches. The truth, however, is that it is almost impossible to practice.

Let me explain. Those we do not know we have no need to love. Those who are close to us, however, can become objects of affection or desire. A friend may, in one's heart, grow to become more than a friend, though we know the friend will never see us in the same way. It is pointless to love that friend, but the heart cannot be swayed by logic, by reason. It does what it will, and cannot be persuaded from its course.

This entry is obviously informed by my recent breakup, in which I find myself in the unenviable position of loving someone who does not love me. My mind tells me to let go, to move on and find happiness elsewhere. But my heart, for now, stubbornly refuses to listen.

No comments: