Sunday, March 13, 2005

Some interesting questions...

David Gordon asked:
"I am especially interested in how you will balance the very solitary life the writer leads (it is, after all, just you and your word processor behind locked doors) with the 'public' life a person who is (happily) married, with children must concurrently lead. In addition, there is the frustration you soon will encounter when you discover (as if you already do not know) that publishers perceive their end-market as book-sellers, not book-buyers and readers. People such as me. So in addition to writer and proof-reader, you also must assume the role of Chief Marketer and Publicist for David Forbes, Inc. Of course, if you are related to those other Forbes, well then no problem!"
Very good questions, David, especially dealing with the solitary work environment. This is going to be a short post, but I promise I will get to your questions soon. This blog itself is part of the marketing effort I'm doing for my work, and I'm sure HarperCollins will expect some things from me as well, but at this point I have no idea what they might be. That's all part of this new journey I'm experiencing and planning to share.

No, unfortunately, I'm not related to those Forbes, otherwise I could have just bought HarperCollins and saved myself all of the grief of having to submit my work to them!

Expect a breakdown of my work day (though not, I hope, in enough detail to put any of you to sleep), how I deal with working on multiple projects at once (writing the sequel to book one, revising Foreverness, revising book one itself once I get the editorial letter from HC, maintaining this blog, and building a web site for www.davidforbes.net), and some updates on me bugging my agent about the contract (sorry, Matt!) over the next few days. I'll also try to work in a little more detailed description of the books when I have some time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your book deal, David. As far as marketing is concerned, you might consider writing and trying to place some short fiction. This can be an effective marketing tool, especially if the stories you write take place in the same world as your novels. But just getting your name in the magazines is a good start, since the people reading them are your target audience. Of course, this is easier said than done, and I know you'll have your hands full for a while as you endeavor to finish the other books in your series. Good luck, in any case.