Wednesday, December 27, 2006

WORDS OF MAKING second draft turned in

I really do apologize for the lack of updates this year. 2006 was definitely one of those best of times/worst of times for dear old me. I'll try to be better about updates in 2007 but it's a time thing and blogging just really isn't much of a priority for me at the moment.

I keep most of my personal life offline, but for those who are curious, I got divorced at the beginning of the year after twelve years of marriage. This necessitated me moving out of the house that my ex-wife and I had built and also finding a full-time job again, since writing was not and is not yet earning enough to pay the bills (though I hope to get to that point within five years). I moved into temporary housing (thanks, Mom!), where I stayed for five months before buying and moving into a new house. And those of you who are homeowners know that houses are never-ending black holes of projects. Oh, and I was trying to revise THE WORDS OF MAKING at the same time, after receiving my edit letter in early August.

On to book-related news...the leaner, meaner second draft of THE WORDS OF MAKING is now back in New York. Much of the revision was simply cutting out lots of overwriting, but I also changed a few of the characters around a bit, decided to kill off a fairly major player, and added a cool demon-like entity who makes a pretty kick-ass cameo.

I'm taking a break and doing some painting around the house (I finished my son's room last weekend, with two walls blue, two walls green -- very much a little boy's room!), and am going to do the foyer next. Woo hoo!

I hope everyone has a great New Year.

2 comments:

Nova said...

My son recently purchased your book "The Amber Wizard". After he read it he passed it along to me. We both have very similar taste in books. I thoroughly enjoyed your book and am looking forward to reading more of your work. I am sorry to hear about your divorce, but I can say from experience, it does get better. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors.

Unknown said...

Hi Nova. I'm really pleased you and your son liked it. It's great to get feedback from readers!

My divorce was pretty painless as far as they go, and my ex and I are getting along pretty well now, which makes it easier on everyone. Thank you for the kind wishes.

David